Thursday 21 July 2011

Carrot Cake

The challenging part about eating a gluten-free diet is letting go of those cherished favourite recipes of the past.

My recipe for Carrot Cake would be the one that comes to mind. The recipe has been with me for a long time. It was graciously shared with me by a lovely lady I worked with in Toronto.

In the past I haven't had the best experience converting my favourite cake recipes into a gluten-free version using all-purpose flour mix. I really like the gluten-free flour at the Bulk Barn that has chickpea and fava bean flour. For the most part it is a nice all-purpose flour but a bit bulky for baking.

Bulk barn also carries an organic quinoa flour that I like and use for pancakes.  So I thought I would try to mix the two together and see if it works.

This is how I converted the recipe.



Carrot Cake

2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups quinoa flour
4 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
1 teaspoon gluten-free baking soda
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 salt
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 cups chopped carrots
1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped walnuts
2 cups raisins
1/2 cup of oil
1 cup of milk
3 large eggs

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  

Mix carrots, walnuts, raisins, oil, eggs, and milk in a bowl.  

Sift in another bowl, sift dry ingredients; flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, cinnamon.  

Add dry ingredients to carrot and liquid mixture and beat.  

Butter and flour baking pans and bake at 250 degrees F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until dry when checked with a toothpick or thin spaghetti noodle.  

Cool the cake on a cake rack while making the icing.  

2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vanilla
250 grams packages cream cheese
2 cups icing sugar

Mix butter and cream cheese and vanilla.  Then sift icing sugar to batter.  Spread when cake is cool.  












Did it work out?  

Yes!

Would I change anything?  

Yes, I think the next time I would like to adjust the portions of quinoa and gluten-free all-purpose flour to see if the cake has a lighter texture. Even though it turned out great, I wouldn't mind trying it out with the adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recipe Review: Gluten-Free Bagels

While at the library this weekend, I came across a copy of Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry cookbook of gluten-free, grain-free, dair...