Friday 30 December 2011

Pot Luck!

Later this afternoon I'm getting together with my brothers, I guess you can say for a pre-New Year's fete of sorts. It is a pot-luck do and I'm bringing Southwestern Pulled Pork that I prepared in the slow cooker.  One of my brothers will be bringing the buns.  I wonder if he'll remember to pick me up a gluten-free bun?

Anyway, here is how it all came together:  

1 teaspoon of olive oil
2 large onions, diced
8 cloves of garlic, minced
8 shallots, minced
2 tablespoons of chilli powder
a good grind of the pepper mill
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups of chilli sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
couple of splashes of liquid smoke
couple of splashes of worcestershire sauce 

In a skillet heat the oil and saute the onions for a few minutes until they start to get soft.  Add the shallots and cook for another minute before adding the freshly minced garlic and continue cooking for another minute or so.  Season with chilli powder and black pepper.  Add the chilli sauce, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, worcestershire sauce and brown sugar.  Bring to a boil, reduce and let it simmer for five minutes.  

Place boneless pork loin in the slow cooker, pour sauce over the pork, cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours.  Shred the pork using two forks, and let it soak up the juices while resting on the warm control.  

Serve with gluten-free buns.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recipe Review: Gluten-Free Bagels

While at the library this weekend, I came across a copy of Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry cookbook of gluten-free, grain-free, dair...