Monday 5 August 2013

Spaghetti and Meatballs

This is one of my favourite comfort food on a cool rainy summer day. The meatballs were taken out of the freezer this morning. They are not store bought. These are homemade meatballs.

gluten free bread crumbs soaked in milk for about ten minutes and then add:

ground pork
lean ground beef
eggs
seasonings
fresh basil
shaved parmesan cheese
Mix altogether and form meatballs. Bake in the oven but until half way done. Cool and freeze until ready to use.  

When meatballs have defrosted they are ready to finish in sauce. I like to use the homemade red pepper sauce but store bought sauce will work too. Add to a sauce pan the sauce and about 5 tablespoons of chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Bring to a slow boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Gently place the meatballs in the sauce and simmer for about 20 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.



While the meatballs are simmering away in the sauce cook your gluten free pasta. 

I like my pasta to be cooked al dente and I avoid white rice based pasta. I find that they fall apart easily and don't give me that al dente texture. I do like TruRoots Ancient Grains Pasta the best but it is hard to find their spaghetti in these parts. You can order it online but beware of shipping costs outside of the United States. When I can't find TruRoots' spaghetti I'll opt for an organic corn spaghetti from Europe (European countries don't use GMO corn).  

When the spaghetti has reached the desired doneness drain and add to the sauce and meatballs. Give it a gentle toss and serve. I don't sprinkle my pasta with cheese, it is already in the meatballs!





  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Recipe Review: Gluten-Free Bagels

While at the library this weekend, I came across a copy of Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry cookbook of gluten-free, grain-free, dair...