Monday 20 October 2014

Retro Style Dinner

Last night's dinner was a retro throw-back with Duck a l'Orange and homemade gravy. I found the recipe over at Epicurious.com and goodness it is a keeper.  


The star of the evening was the duck. I found this bird over at the newly discovered Marcello's, a quaint little butcher shop in the neighbourhood.  


I did stray a wee bit from the recipe and doubled the spice rub and I added ground ginger to the mix.


For the gravy I followed the recipe with no tweaks and it turned out perfectly delicious. Cooking the sugar until it reached that golden caramel created a deep and rich gravy.  


Oh and braised cabbage! Instead of grated apples, I used 1/2 a jar of homemade apple sauce which I do believe I prefer much more.

I spent half the day in the kitchen cooking and cleaning up but my goodness it was worth it. I made this meal for the folks and they seemed please too. And that is what made it worth all the work.

Happy Eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recipe Review: Gluten-Free Bagels

While at the library this weekend, I came across a copy of Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry cookbook of gluten-free, grain-free, dair...